Monday, October 20, 2008

It is about time! Tech fitting on a Spantik!



A Dynafit tech binding toe piece added to a Spantik at home!



Bravo! Looking forward to the field reports! The info is much appreciated. Hopefully others will be able to follow shortly. Including La Sportiva :)















































"I live andclimb in Alaska which typically requires longish approaches and the use ofskis. I have been using the standard silvretta bindings on a set of Atomic Climber skis (pretty light). I have wanted to use dynafit toe pieces on my Atomic skis for a while now and after my DPS Wailer 112 came in lighter than my "approach setup" I decided I had to try something.



Long story short I have bolted/glued the tech fitting plate I cut out of apair of old Garmont Megarides into my well broken in pair of Spantiks. I'mworking on mounting dynafit tlt speed toe pieces and a custom heel throwsystem (using a crampon wire heel latch). I haven't had time yet to build/test this system, but I will as soon as I get home in a week and a half.



Have you heard of anyone doing this before? Do you/they have any tips orsuggestions? I'm realize not everyone would utilize tech fittings onclimbing boots, but the crowd I run with in Alaska are surprised noclimbing boot manufacture has thought of this yet. Thoughts?



Just wanted to say thanks for being an inspiration to build and try newthings.

I appreciate your time and the sharing of your knowledge."



"I'm reluctant to take them on a long trip right away until they prove there reliability, so I'll start with a couple of short (4+ mile) approaches in variable snow conditions most involving trail breaking.

I don't have the heal piece assembled/made yet but I think I have an idea of what I'm going to do. I'll start on that when I get home next week also.



My most recent climbing trip(that turned into a ski trip) was into the Eastern Alaska Range involving 78 miles on snowmobile and 15+ miles on skis pulling sleds to where we setup a base camp. From there we toured around the West Fork of the Susitna glacier logging 60+ miles. It would have been really nice to have a lighter weight setup than the silvretta 404's I had for that trip though I was unwilling to trust this system having not put it through the wringer. Time will tell."


No comments:

Post a Comment